Camping Car Park list

General Information post not for specific country or area
SBirnie

Re: Camping Car Park list

Post by SBirnie »

Judy Makin’s comment on FB re CCP utilising park & ride sites is a good one. In my patch, Cambridge would be a good fit given its very acute traffic & parking congestion (in normal times, at least). I’ve recently approached the Cambridge P&R re our campaign & established that Cambridgeshire County Council is the responsible P&R authority, but obviously CCP can approach them, too, contact details via their website: cambridgeshire.gov.uk.
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

OXFORD

There is already provision for 'high sided vehicles' at 2 of the Oxford P&R sites: Redbridge (Oxford City Council) and Oxford Parkway (Oxfordshire County Council).

Both prohibit sleeping in vehicles. Redbridge is certainly used by motorhomes overnight and it is said that the attendants turn a blind eye, so this is a potential site. However it is also used by coaches and it's possible that the City Council would not want to lose coach parking spaces. It is also directly opposite the Camping & Caravanning Club site so anticipate objections from them - although it is almost always fully booked.

Oxford Parkway has a 6 bay over-height vehicles section - obviously too small for an aire. I don't know whether the car park is used to capacity, there may be potential to allocate a larger area within the existing car park or develop land alongside.

Another possibility (being investigated?) is the current CAMC site at Bladon Chains, Woodstock, the Club are giving it up in September so this would be a good option for CCP, giving walking access to Woodstock and Blenheim Palace and also a regular bus service to Oxford.
PeteD

Post by PeteD »

Marion wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:45 am I Think Windsor would be a great location for a CCP aire. The council already permits motorhome parking at their Alma Road carpark, bur a full service aire would be much better. There is lots to do in Windsor, obviously the castle, but Legoland too. It also has a direct rail link into London. I don't know if part of the Alma Road carpark could be adapted or even part of the Riverside car park near the station. There might also be land across the bridge in Eaton. I am not a local, but have been to Windsor a few times.
Another Location, I think, would be St Albans. With Hatfield House and the Warner Studios not too far away and again train link into London, it seems a good position to have an aire.
Windsor racecourse might be worth approaching in this respect, they do allow rallies on the property and any fixed Aire installation can always be closed on race days if necessary and used by racegoers.
Pete D.
PeteD

Post by PeteD »

SBirnie wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:06 pm Judy Makin’s comment on FB re CCP utilising park & ride sites is a good one. In my patch, Cambridge would be a good fit given its very acute traffic & parking congestion (in normal times, at least). I’ve recently approached the Cambridge P&R re our campaign & established that Cambridgeshire County Council is the responsible P&R authority, but obviously CCP can approach them, too, contact details via their website: cambridgeshire.gov.uk.
Park and rides surely must be a good prospect. especially where some already offer parking only. Where facilities already exist e.g. at Oxford where the C&CC have a site opposite one of the park and rides, the target should be the park and rides at the opposite side of the city.
Pete D
PeteD

Post by PeteD »

I have always considered both sides of the Hayle Estury, Cornwall a good place to have Aires. Recent years has seen development on North Quay Road, Hayle where there is still unused land and across the other side it might be worth investigating the possibilty of using the Porth Kidney Parking area. I have yet to see this car park anywhere near full. The Lelant station car park area might also be worth while checking out for travel into St Ives and walking to Carbis Bay. I am not a resident of the area but am aware of these areas from visits. Perhaps someone local can furnish more information and their thoughts on the suitability and ownership of these sites.
Pete D
Grey Wanderer

Post by Grey Wanderer »

Triassic wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:24 am I spotted an empty parking area (closed and fenced off) at New Bridge, Greenodd, Ulverston, Cumbria.it’s in the small village of Greenodd, with a few small shops, ice cream parlour, butchers, cafe and chip shop. Lots of good local walks. It’s also on the Road, to Coniston and the western Lake District.
This would be good for the Cumbrian Coastal Tour, you may note I've been asking for help chasing up opportunities on the North West forum. Are you able to follow this up?
The-2Rockhoppers

Post by The-2Rockhoppers »

Sorry I can’t offer advice on potential sites as live in the Channel Islands (& sadly our government only allow camping on registered campsites) however I wonder if the CCP have checked out the P & Rs around the Uk, there may be some with available adjacent land to create a CCP with public transport directly into a city or town for visiting.
pauls59@yahoo.co.uk

Post by pauls59@yahoo.co.uk »

Newtownards, Co Down, Northern Ireland.

There is waste ground to the rear of Court Square, 2 minute walk to the High Street. It is level and currently fenced off. Could be a possible 'Motorhome parking/stop over with Service Facility' It already has a roadway coming off the nearby Castlebawn shopping complex, of Tesco Ltd and a couple of Independents.
This is Private land not owned by the local Council.
The owner is Castlebawn Developments, Killultagh Estates Limited, 2nd Floor, The Linenhall, 32 - 38 Linenhall Street, Belfast BT2 8BG.
TN 028 (+44 28) 90 278899. I rand the company this morning and spoke to the receptionist. She thought they still owned this area, and it was within their development plans. She said the best person to speak to would be Richard, in their Planning Department.
His email contact is; Richard@killultagh.com
(The location can be found on what3words.com/faded.scrambles.vines
P Simpson
jsmith770

Post by jsmith770 »

Bamburgh has a big carpark under the castle walls. It has several huge motorhome bays that could potentially be used as an Aire. It was almost empty last summer when we used it.
NickiH

Post by NickiH »

RE: Kingston upon Hull

I have been in regular contact with Hull CC since October 2020 with regards to the provision of Aires in the city. My contact at HCC is Anthony.Yates@vhey.co.uk who is very keen to pursue this and is currently working in partnership with East Riding Council to look at potential opportunities in the Hull and East Yorkshire Area. They see the potential of the motorhome market both from a domestic and transit audience and are looking to find suitable sites to consider. To date they have had conversations about linking up a motorhome offering as part of a new potential Coach Park and working with city partners such as The Deep, which is one of the largest aquariums in the UK

Kingston upon Hull has a lot to offer as many visitors discovered during the ‘Hull City of Culture 2017’. The proximity of the P&O ferry terminal also provides an ideal opportunity to capture those heading to and from the ferries in motorhomes, as opposed to driving straight to the ferry or through to their planned destination.

This is a great opportunity for Hull business & leisure communities and I feel sure they would welcome the chance to work in partnership with CCP.