Hi Keith, you can connect from news on website but should be on
https://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/council ... yMhPyuheXU
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
PeteD

Re: Cheshire car parking survey

Post by PeteD »

Not being a resedent I sent them an email to the address they highlighted:

Dear Councillors,

I write to you as a potential visitor to your area.

I own a motorhome and I am a member of several national motorhome groups one of which is CAMpRA, (https://campra.org.uk/) which has over 15,000 members and actively promotes improved touring facilities for motorhomes.

You may not be aware that there are over 380,000 motorhome owners in the UK and this figure is growing fast. There are many times this figure in Europe many of whom are disinclined to visit the UK because of the lack of comparable Continental facilities. The pandemic which started in 2020 has resulted in an increase in staycations and this has highlighted the shortcomings in the provision of facilities for these nomadic owners. The increase in staycations under the influence of the pandemic and Brexit is set to continue in 2021 and beyond.

I suggest the council considers the provision of dedicated parking slots of up to 8 meters in length for motorhomes to stay for up to 48 hours in the car parks the council is responsible for. Without dedicated slots it is difficult for larger outfits to park. Surveys indicate motorhome owners staying overnight spend an average of £47 to £60 per day in shops and restaurants when visiting and their presence can be a deterrent to criminals.

With this suggestion I am attaching two documents for further information.

It is worth noting, there are many success stories already around the country:

• Craven District Council have trialled with 2 car parks and have just extended to 3.
• Canterbury Council have a well established facility at one of their park and ride sites and are planning a further one.
• Hawick Council are having great success with their scheme.

There are many more and many in the process of being setting up.

I hope this suggestion will be considered by the relevant committee.

Kind Regards

Attachments:

Motorcaravan Strategy Nov 2020
CAMpRA Survey Results 2020
Steve

Post by Steve »

Only 3 days left to complete survey

https://surveys.cheshireeast.gov.uk/s/VZTQ7T/

or email mailto:RandC@cheshireeast.gov.uk
Steve

Post by Steve »

Anyone from Cheshire please? We need a member in Cheshire to represent CAMpRA
Steve

Post by Steve »

Emails sent
Good afternoon , I am writing to you after completing your car park survey.
Being regular visitors to Cheshire in our motorcaravan we were very disappointed to see that the survey did not include any reference to motorcaravan parking so we were unable to to answer some of the questions, we hope that you will consider this large and rapidly expanding section of the market going forward.
There are over 386,000 Motorcaravans in the UK and 82% travel year round.
Mostly owned by older travellers the estimated annual spend in local shops, pubs and restaurants is over £850 million.
Cheshire towns can benefit from a share of this revenue to support your local businesses by simply encouraging touring motorcaravans to visit your towns.
All they need is somewhere to park for up to 48 hours close to towns or attractions.
Modern motorcaravans are self contained units and mainland Europe has been tapping into this revenue stream for many years, the covid pandemic has forced us to look for additional ways to rejuvenate our towns and now is the time to embrace this large sector of our tourism market and welcome them to Cheshire to spend their money with you.

And its so easy just provide overnight parking in existing car parks, or utilise unused areas like the disused car parks or areas a dedicated Aire (motorcaravan car park). Canterbury is a perfect example of providing facilities in the park and ride which prevents motorcaravans driving through the town. Ideal for Shrewsbury as an example.
An Aire is Motorcaravan parking only with no external equipment, every 3 to 4 days they need to fill up with water and empty waste tanks it would be beneficial to provide a motorcaravan service point locally to support the touring motorcaravans, this would be an easy to add as an addition to Chester Little Rodee car park who already allow motorcaravans to stay overnight and a favourite stop of of ours.
I would welcome an opportunity to discuss these further so please feel free to contact me to discuss further or feel free to download documents from our website www.campra.org.uk
Phot Examples attached
Steve

Post by Steve »

Received a positive reply
Steve

Post by Steve »

Update posted by Keith Matthews:

Very pleased to recieve this reply to my letter to the local authority about parking for MH's 😁

Dear Mr Matthews

Thank you so much for your letter. For information this is something that our Visitor Economy team are beginning to look at and have recently been in touch with CAMPrA and a Council that has gone through the process to good effect.

The work and the information gathering will take time due to the many benefits and perceived negative connotations of welcoming Motorhomes. However I am keen to explore and would welcome an opportunity to discuss further with yourself if you are open to a call.
Cheshire East has a visitor economy of almost £1bn and the opportunities around staycations are obviously great; which is where CAMPrA fit in well.
Thank you again and I look forward to discussing further with you in the future

Yours sincerely

Richard Milkins MCiM DipCAM
Visitor Economy Manager

Cheshire East Council

We had a teams meeting with Richard and he has received information from CAMpRA.