Marinas, Canals, Waterways

This is a place to post on organisations that cover all of the UK.
Eddiey

Marinas, Canals, Waterways

Post by Eddiey »

Just a follow up on resent visits to both Cobh and Bantry Aires, The revenue raised from Motorhome parking in Cobh was around 42.000 Euro for 2018 at 10 euro a night and managed by Cork C/C.
Bantry what I understand is managed by the Harbour Commission and is a fantastic Aire and great value for money with toilets,free electricity,water,wi/fi and pump out.
I was in Dunmore east recently and the parking area on the breakwater by the marina has a sign up that no overnight parking is allowed. Could Waterford C/C or the Har-bour Commission not look at these Aires and realize the amount of revenue that can be raised. They already have the perfect area in place to start the Aire.
Madwitch

Re: Marinas, Canals, Waterways

Post by Madwitch »

Bantry aire is expensive, given that the same facilities are available at the Westport Hotel just up the road, which is €10 a night (though no EHU). Bantry did reduce their charge after lots of complaints. Another great Irish one is the Hub at Graiguemananagh. (Barrow Valley Activities Hub). This is a joint venture between the local council and the local community and was reported to have brought in over €1.5m to the local economy last year. Irish Waterways also have a fantastic scheme where you can stay on most of their marinas (some paid, some free). You can buy a card in local shops for a certain number of units (if I remember it was €10 for 12 units) and you could use these cards to access the toilets, showers and washing machine etc. It was 2 units for a shower, toilets were free, and the washing machine was 5 units. The only problem we found was that in many, there was no black waste disposal as it was only geared up to a pumping station for boats. We spent around 5 weeks in Germany and Denmark over the summer and most of the places we stayed were on marinas or harbours. For around €10 a night including EHU, showers, toilets these were fantastic stopovers.

Such a shame we can't get marinas and harbours here to recognise the potential.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Any chance of one of getting information from Rish Waterways that we coukd use as an example to th UK equivalent?
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Eddiey

Post by Eddiey »

Exactly what I wanted to do when I get time!

I asked for information on Total Motorhome Ireland and got pointed to Seamus Murray post and some other marinas etc were suggested. Just getting round to to doing it.
Madwitch

Post by Madwitch »

Portumna and Terryglass are the most popular. Parking here is paid for. Others include:

Ballinamore
Keshkerrigan
Hudson Bay
Shannon Bridge
Thomastown
Dromineer
Banagher
Garrykennedy
Tarmonberry
Houghtons Shore
Hodson Bay
Clondara
Leitrim Village
Coosan Point

A few of these have full facilities (toilets, showers, laundry etc) for which you will need an Irish Waterways Card (available from local shops); others are free.