Morris Leslie Development in Central Perth

Regions In Scotland
LizM

Morris Leslie Development in Central Perth

Post by LizM »

This development includes: Mixed use development comprising hotel, museum, holiday accommodation, retail and potential park and ride facility. Here's a link to a recent news article on the development: https://www.thenational.scot/news/19018 ... ZGlzl1tWxo

Would be a pity if they missed a trick by not including Motorhome Parking (Aire) in the park and ride.

Here is a link to the planning application: https://planningapps.pkc.gov.uk/online- ... DYEMK0BQ00

The planning application is live at the moment.
LizM

Re: Morris Leslie Development in Central Perth

Post by LizM »

Update: The planning development is not live yet. It's currently a Proposal of Application Notice. So although its live to view on the Perth & Kinross Council website, you can't comment on the Application. But

Theres is a consultation website: www.west-kinfauns.co.uk

There is a dedicated email for comments to be sent to: hello@west-kinfauns.co.uk

There is a planned digital consultation event, which will be held on 13/3/2021 between 3pm and 7pm

A public notice will be published in The Courier on Tuesday 9th March 2021.

The development is being made by Morris Leslie Limited, and their Agent is Colin Smith of Turley (colin.smith@turley.co.uk)

The website lists the parties that have been sent details of the PAN, which includes 3 councillors, 3 MSPs, three community councils etc. Check the website for further details.

I am planning to email and will post what I sent once I've sent it!
LizM

Post by LizM »

This is the email I have sent to hello@west-kinfauns.co.uk

Some comments on the Proposal of Application Notice for West Kinfauns

I am a resident of Crieff and like the look of the proposed development at the Morris Leslie Site at West Kinfauns, Perth.

I note that it's a mixed use development comprising museum, hotel, holiday lodges, retail, ancillary support services and possible a Park and Ride facility.

It would lie good to include a Park and Ride facility, but I would also like to encourage the developers also to include spaces for motorhome/campervan parking. There are currently over 386,000 registered motorcaravans in the UK and over 1.7 million in Europe. There were 37,500+ new registrations of ‘motorcaravans’ in the UK between June and September 2020, and 63,500+ will be coming out of SORN once the lockdown is over, (DVLA, 30 Sept 2020). Motorcarvanners like to visit cities and at the moment there are not many suitable places to park. It would be great to see provision for motorcaravan parking at West Kinfauns, Perth.

In addition to including allocated spaces for motorhome parking, I would like to see an Aire to be set up on the Park and Ride facility.

What is an Aire? Quite simply, it’s a piece of level ground, off-road, set aside for parking/sleeping overnight in a self-contained Motorhome or Campervan. No camping behaviour is allowed - no tables, chairs, barbecues or awnings. It is unmanned and is available for a maximum time usually 24-48 hrs.
Many Aires also provide some essential services - a fresh water tap and a place to dispose of grey water (usually a drive over drain), a toilet waste receptacle, and rubbish/recycling bins. Some provide only parking, and some provide only available services, eg a tap. Prices vary from free, to encourage spending in local businesses, or £5 overnight, to around £10 a night, with full services, helping towards maintenance and some profit. Some operate with an honesty box or an evening fee collection. Some offer water or waste facilities by using a key in a local shop. Others have a ticket machine or a sophisticated barrier system operated with a card.

Providing an Aire in your Park & Ride could generate income:

If space in your car park was allocated for 5 motorhomes/campervans, and you had an average of 3 staying, 7 nights a week, over 50 weeks, at £5/night, your extra income could be £5,250 pa. That could be over £10,000 pa if the average number doubled to 6 motorhomes! Or more!
If you included a Service Point that could be used by motorcaravans even if they weren’t parking overnight, a charge of £3 to use could generate an additional £11,000 per year if it was used by only 10 vans per day.
A recent survey of 8956 motorcaravan owners showed that the average amount they spent locally (in shops and restaurants) when staying overnight is £47, and as you are planning a mixed use development, it would be highly likely that the motorcaravan owners parking in your Park & Ride would spend their money in your shops/cafes/restaurants. 3 vans staying 7 nights a week and spending that average amount of £47 per night would bring an additional £51,000 income.

The Park and Ride in Canterbury (Kent) has been allowing motorhomes to park overnight for a number of years and the established Aire has been a great success. I have attached the Canterbury Aire Case Study, which has been produced by CAMPrA (Campaign for Real Aires). I hope you will find this document useful. Colin Perris is the Parking Facilities Manager at the Canterbury Park and Ride and he would be happy to share his experience. He can be contacted by email: colin.perris@canterbury.gov.uk
If you need further information, contact CAMpRA at www.CAMpRA.org.uk and on Facebook

Or contact the CAMpRA Leadership – steve@campra.org.uk

Liz Munns
Crieff Resident and Campervan owner

Attachments: A Guide to Aires Leaflet, Canterbury Park & Ride Success Story
LizM

Post by LizM »

I have had a reply to my email. Here it is:

Many thanks for your feedback on this, have circulated to the team and will come back to you.

Kind regards

Alex

Alex Orr
Managing Director

cidimage001.png@01D5ECC0.04922420

Orbit Communications
4 Queen Street, Edinburgh EH2 1JE
Telephone: 0131 603 8996 Mobile: 0771 891 3299
Web: orbit.scot