Hawick

Regions In Scotland
irnbru

Hawick

Post by irnbru »

I have been asked if we can comment on this article. I am waiting on thePDF version.The common good fund wanted it to be free but a few of the 6 councillors oppose this. This is what I've replied. Please can you take a few minutes to write supporting the installation of an elsan point. Emails to be sent to jason@thehawickpaper.co.uk

I am writing regarding your article regarding the possible installation of the campervan elsan point in The Haugh car park.

As a motorhomer myself I think this is a fantastic idea and will be an added bonus to entice more motorhomers to visit your lovely town. It is a well known fact that the vast majority of visiting motorhomers try to give something back to the town they are visiting by spending in shops/.restaurants etc and helping to contribute to the local economy. So to install an elsan point would be a win win for both the town and the motorhomers. Motorhome aires are provided in almost every town centre abroad, most are free with bought token service charges for fresh water and toilet emptying ranging from 3-5 euros. Tokens create less theft opportunities.

I am a motorhomer that frequents Hawick often and I would be happy to pay the equivalent or up to £5 for services provided.

Campsites out of town are more suitable to caravaners who can use their car to visit towns, whereas motorhomers cannot so it is important to be able to park up inside a town.

In these unprecedented times I can tell you most campsites are being booked up now in anticipation of Stay At Home Holidays taking place this summer , therefore it really would be great if Hawick could install this facility sooner rather than later.
No photo description available.

Please supply a name and address, you can ask that its with held. Thx
Attachments
PDF pdf.pdf
(25.2 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
Last edited by irnbru on Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Re: Hawick

Post by Steve »

I will send them some details of basic waste points and bornes but the latter are expensive.
A simple waste point and honesty box would be better.
I will suggest another possibility of shops issuing tokens so yiu can purchase a token or get a free token with minimum spend.
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Steve

Post by Steve »

Email sent
Good morning Jason, I am writing as a member if Campra (Campaign for Real Aires) an Aires is a motorcaravan parking and service point and these are common throughout mainland Europe.
The are normal free like Hawick with a waste point that is free to empty waste and a small charge to fill with water.
They are designed like this to encourage visitors to the town and to encourage responsible disposal of waste but as motorcaravans also need to top up with water they apply the charges to the water.
There are several options available (examples in our website and Facebook gallery) basically a simple waste unit that fits over a manhole very popular in the UK due to the low cost from £322+vat, then you just require a tap which can be metered.
There are also commercial units which are more common on the continent but whilst these are ideal they are expensive to purchase initially.
There are various payment options but one that may be interesting to Hawick and be acceptable to all councillors is pay be token, the tokens can be purchased from local shops which encourages visitors into the shops and shops could provide tokens free in exchange for a minimum spend again encouraging local spending.
More details on www.campra.org.uk
I have attached some examples.
CAMpRA members over (15,000 since July) and access to over 200,000 UK motorcaravan owners on social media will support a go funding campaign to raise funds as we have already done with other project in Scotland, the £5000 target for Elgin was raised in a few days and Hawick is a very popular location and a shining example for other towns to follow.
Please feel free to get in touch and check out our proposed Scottish Borders motorcaravan touring route being discussed with SBC.

Included examples of eurorelais and simple waste points

Regards
Steve Haywood
CAMpRA Leadership Team
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
irnbru

Post by irnbru »

Thanks to all that responded. I believe the council now have the emails too. Here is some replies published in todays paper. Its encouraging for The hawick Welcome group and SBC to know that we 100% support them.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-02-05 at 17.34.43.png
Screenshot 2021-02-05 at 17.34.43.png (385.68 KiB) Viewed 1978 times