SBC Car parks

Regions In Scotland
Steve

Re: SBC Car parks

Post by Steve »

Ian I agree it needs to be sent by a Scottish member,
Interesting use of tonne

A ton is an imperial unit of mass equivalent to 1,016.047 kg or 2,240 lbs. A tonne is a metric unit of mass equivalent to 1,000 kg or 2,204.6 lbs.
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Eddiey

Post by Eddiey »

When I started campaigning for motorhomes a number of years ago, I very soon realised what I was up against and came to the conclusion at some stage, I would have to challenge my local council. Unusually for me, I carried on patiently trying the softer approach and still got nowhere. I was about to challenge the council rules and then CAMpRA came along and I reverted back to softly, softly.
But I believe there comes a time when a more direct approach is needed and maybe the time is now?

Since I have been in correspondence with them previously and I live in the Borders, I am quite happy to send Ian's letter, duly edited, to the SBC if the Scottish Borders are happy for me to do that.

Southern Scotland--Please let me have your comments.
Grey Wanderer

Post by Grey Wanderer »

Since we have the invitation of one councillor to offer them a proposal for a Scottish Borders Tour, perhaps we should take them up on it. At the moment it would be opportune, as up to 25th January the SBC Development Plan Consultation process is still open to contributions.

I could knock together the text and map by editing one of the Tour reports already done. However since I've already got plenty on I would need assistance by someone, preferably with good local knowledge to follow the route on Google Satellite Maps to scout out pubs, clubs, etc. with large car parks, assess the suitability of SBC car parks, and summarise a list of attractions and places of interest along the route. Look at the itinerary of one of the Tours uploaded in Documents to see the sort of information / suggestions used elsewhere. Anybody happy to volunteer?

I've attached a suggested route that goes through an interesting variety of landscapes and towns and hhopefully would showcase the best of the Borders. I would be happy to receive comments or suggested alterations/ diversions. I've tried to stay off main roads where possible. I think most of the single track roads included have been upgraded to take forestry traffic so should manage motor caravans ok, I've travelled most of them myself with just a few exceptions...but if there are any you would think unsuitable let me know.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 11.38.43.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 11.38.43.jpg (566.24 KiB) Viewed 39751 times
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ian, does it include any of the existing tourist routes? I.e. Snowroad 90, NE250, Heart 200
Grey Wanderer

Post by Grey Wanderer »

South of Scotland Enterprise (SOSE) www.southofscotlandenterprise.com/ according to local councillor have lots of funding for social and economic developments in the Borders. If we can come up with Tour proposals we should contact them to see how they can help fund Aires and support council with setting up a Tour and its infrastructure.
Grey Wanderer

Post by Grey Wanderer »

I think the routes you mentioned Steve are all north of the central belt,I'm not aware of any in the Borders. By the way do we actually have any members in the Scottish Borders, they seem to be very quiet on this forum?
Grey Wanderer

Post by Grey Wanderer »

Further to which... an extract from the already growing report...

<<This report proposes a circular road around the Scottish Borders. A number of touring routes have been created around other regions of Scotland, including the well-known North Coast 500, Heart 200, Snowroad 90, and the North East 250. Apart perhaps from the Borders Historic Route which whizzes through from Langholm to Edinburgh taking in only three towns, no comparable tourism equivalent is on offer to showcase the Borders rich variety of landscapes, its charming and interesting towns and villages, and its short but most attractive coastline.>>
Eddiey

Post by Eddiey »

I am still busy with the Northern Tour but happy to help out with the Borders one as well if no one on the Scottish side volunteers. Or I could work with some one from the Scottish side on this.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... 99977&z=10
LizM

Post by LizM »

Grey Wanderer wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:00 pm Since we have the invitation of one councillor to offer them a proposal for a Scottish Borders Tour, perhaps we should take them up on it. At the moment it would be opportune, as up to 25th January the SBC Development Plan Consultation process is still open to contributions.

I could knock together the text and map by editing one of the Tour reports already done. However since I've already got plenty on I would need assistance by someone, preferably with good local knowledge to follow the route on Google Satellite Maps to scout out pubs, clubs, etc. with large car parks, assess the suitability of SBC car parks, and summarise a list of attractions and places of interest along the route. Look at the itinerary of one of the Tours uploaded in Documents to see the sort of information / suggestions used elsewhere. Anybody happy to volunteer?

I've attached a suggested route that goes through an interesting variety of landscapes and towns and hhopefully would showcase the best of the Borders. I would be happy to receive comments or suggested alterations/ diversions. I've tried to stay off main roads where possible. I think most of the single track roads included have been upgraded to take forestry traffic so should manage motor caravans ok, I've travelled most of them myself with just a few exceptions...but if there are any you would think unsuitable let me know.
What towns/places do the letters on your map refer to?
Steve

Post by Steve »

Not sure what classes as borders but membership list shows 98 Edinburgh and 44 Falkirk