Armagh
Down
Fermanagh
Londonderry/Derry
Tyrone
pauls59@yahoo.co.uk

Contact with NI Councils.

Post by pauls59@yahoo.co.uk »

On Tuesday, 15th and Wednesday 16th December, I shared our groups November Strategy Document along with other motorhome related documents, with 10 of the 11 NI Councils, ( I have already been in contact with my local, Ardsandnorthdownboroughcouncil). So far, I have had a reply from a few of then, thanking me for the documents, and they will be discussed in the relevant Tourism Departments.

I have been informed that, at a recent Council meeting, Ardsandnorthdownboroughcouncil have decided to amend the bye-law at The Commons, Donaghadee, to ensure it underpins the signage there which currently prohibits overnight stays.

Whilst this is not great news, the Council have tasked their officers with producing an options paper ( to be brought back to Council), which deals with the need for Motorhome related tourism a cross the borough , including exploring capital funding options for creation of a bespoke motorhome site. (Current workloads and funding mean this will not take place until some point in 2021).
stelen

Re: Contact with NI Councils.

Post by stelen »

Hi Paul,
In reply to your post about council contact I should make you aware that in the early part of last year I was in correspondence with Mid and East Antrim Council mainly about the height barriers on some of the car parks along the Antrim Coast Road and the lack of bona Vida motorhome stopping places. It was quite clear from their responses that they had no appreciation of the difference in use patterns between caravanners and motorhomers. I sought to explain the difference.
Also I responded to Translink about their proposed extension to the Mossley West park and ride facility. I suggested that they might consider the development of an Aire as part of the development. It is not the most attractive of places but the ability to jump on a train and be in Belfast city centre in ten minutes would surely be attractive to some. I subsequently sent them a copy of the Strategy document.
Unfortunately over the recent months I have had to drop the issue due to health matters but I think it is worth continuing to pressure them to recognise the opportunity they are missing.
pauls59@yahoo.co.uk

Re: Contact with NI Councils.

Post by pauls59@yahoo.co.uk »

Stelen.

Thank you for your response to my post. I must admit, since I sent my email out on Monday 11th, January, I have only had ONE reply, and that was an 'Automatic Reply' from Mid Ulster Council, "Thank you for your email, which will be passed to the appropriate council service for response."

I think they are all more interested in the current Covid situation, rather than thinking ahead, to their tourism season, hopefully at Easter, and what they will need to do for the 'staycation' that will happen again this year.

As you will see on my other posting of the Motorhome statistics for period ending 30th September 2020, there were 28,808 newly registered Motorhomes/Campervans/Vans with windows ( many of these VW's will be converted to campervans, but still be registered as Vans with Windows).

A potential for 322,495 Licensed on the road vehicles, all trying to find somewhere to stop over for 24 - 48 hrs with waste disposal access and fresh water take on, without having to enter a caravan site for a specific time period. Our UK Governments and local councils are behind the times.
P Simpson