Leicestershire
Rutland
Northamptonshire
Lincolnshire
Madcaravanner

North East Derbyshire

Post by Madcaravanner »

Hi Folks,

Who knows somewhere around here that we could try to get the council to make a USEFUL Aire for touring motorhomes

I have contacted (or tried to ) certain councillors and the response was like a ghost town
The MP on the other hand does seem to be on our side but we need some sites to start campaigning for

As you can see from this Search For Sites screen shot plenty of pubs and a few CL/CS but NO authorised Aire

Screenshot_20201217_165304_com.kal.searchforsites.searchforsites.jpg
Screenshot_20201217_165304_com.kal.searchforsites.searchforsites.jpg (245.97 KiB) Viewed 2951 times
Regards

Gray

The Madcaravanner
Madcaravanner

Re: North East Derbyshire

Post by Madcaravanner »

This is the reply from Lee Rowley

ROWLEY, Lee <lee.rowley.mp@parliament.uk>
Tue, 28 Jul, 21:40
to me

Dear Mr Wilson,

I hope you are well. Many thanks for your Facebook message and for bearing with me for a few days whilst I was able to respond properly.

Thanks for raising this issue. In terms of current provision, I can’t immediately think of a huge amount of sites where this is permitted in North East Derbyshire. I am happy to write to the Council on your behalf on this issue if you would like to find out more and what their approach is? If you let me know if you would like me to, I would be happy to do so.

The local Council has put together a local plan. This is a document which outlines how our area should develop in the coming years from a housebuilding, business, tourism, regeneration and all other matters. It isn’t yet formally adopted but I would expect it to be in the coming months. I have had a look into that document and there is a reference to motorhomes:

“Policy WC7: Tourist Accommodation in the Countryside

1. In addition to being subject to Policy WC6, New visitor accommodation, or extensions to existing visitor accommodation,

will be permitted where it is not used for permanent residential occupation and:

a. Where is an extension to existing visitor accommodation and helps to ensure future business viability; or

b. It is in accordance with Policy SS9:Development in the Countryside; or

2. In addition, proposals for new, and extensions to existing camp sites, and sites for chalets, static (non-dwelling) or touring caravans, including for caravan storage, will be permitted where:

c. They are adequately screened all year round; and

d. They are laid out in a manner which would not adversely affect the character of the area; and

e. The materials and colour of the chalets and caravans, services and infrastructure are appropriately designed to reduce the visual impact of the proposal on the landscape to a satisfactory level; and

f. They do not significantly adversely affect the amenity of local residents.”

You can find the document here: https://www.ne-derbyshire.gov.uk/docume ... -documents (click on the first document in the list) and the above statement is on page 109.

I think that this means that if an application comes forward for more motorhome pitches in the future by those wanting to develop them, then they will be considered as potential options through the planning process.

I hope that the above is helpful and am happy to discuss more if useful.
Regards

Gray

The Madcaravanner
Madcaravanner

Post by Madcaravanner »

This is the email I sent to a selection of councillors in NE Derbyshire, Peak District and Derbyshire Dales

AND
Their rather Bland responses even from an alleged motorhomer

Overnight Parking for motorhomes in Derbyshire
Inbox

Gray Wilson <madcaravanner@gmail.com>
Thu, 23 Jul, 21:37
to steve.bull, sue.burfoot, diane.charles, alex.dale, joan.dixon, helen.elliott, angelique.foster, stuart.brittain, john.boult, sharon.blank, barry.bingham, tony.kemp, linda.grooby, barry.lewis, duncan.mcgregor, irene.ratcliffe, jim.perkins, simon.spencer, brian.wright

Dear All,

I am emailing you all (irrespective of party just on the area you support which is attractive to tourists) - Derbyshire is such a lovely place and missing out on income from the fastest growing market sector of tourists, i.e motorhomes. I wonder what your personal views are regarding this.

Motorhome owners don't need campsites with all the bells and whistles i.e. toilets, shower blocks, clubhouses, play areas, - just a place to park for one or two nights.

We have numerous big car parks where between 5-10 spaces could be designated for motorhome overnight parking.

This would have a number of benefits to the region.

1) Extra parking revenue - surveys show Motorhomers are prepared to pay £5 per overnight + whatever is the standard charge for daytime parking. Better than the land standing empty overnight - car parks can raise revenue for 24 hours.

2) Motorhomers have been found to spend, on average, more than £45 per night in the local area in shops, restaurants, cafes and pubs.

3) The presence of a group of motorhomes parked up overnight can be a deterrent to criminals.

4) There are massive networking opportunities between motorhomers' social media groups and there would be lots of free advertising of the area as a tourist destination.

5) We support the environment - most of us carry litter pickers and tidy up whatever we find around us. We do not make a mess (despite the way the press try to portray us).

All over Europe there are networks of Motorhome 'Aires'. They roll out the red carpet and benefit from the motorhome tourists' €£s.

I appreciate that there might be issues that could concern you but none of them are insurmountable. May I point out that Canterbury in Kent has three such aires and they are making a lot of money for the area. They have tried and tested strategies for dealing with any potential issues that might arise.

I would really appreciate the opportunity to meet with you in person (I would like to bring the motorhome to demonstrate how we are self sufficient and self isolating).

Please check out CAMpRA .. the Campaign for Real Aires https://facebook.com/groups/campra.uk/ You would need to join but it is free and a source of all sorts of information regarding how to set up and run an aire, facts and figures about how many motorhomers there are in the UK (fastest growing group of staycationers ); how much they spend on a trip.

Motorhome stopover sites would have no impact at all on local campsites hotels and B&Bs as they are a different market - without Aires in the UK, motorhomers will simply take their holidays and their money to Europe and European motorhomers will probably not come. We have information that Europeans are baffled and dismayed by the UK's lack of specific provision and are, on the whole, unwilling to pay the extortionate rates demanded by campsites.

I would appreciate it if you would consider this request and would be grateful if you could organise a face to face meeting.

Yours Sincerely

Graham Wilson

Madcaravanner@gmail.com

Tony Kemp (Elected Members)
Mon, 27 Jul, 16:48
Dear Gray, Thank you for your letter. As it happens, my wife and I have been motorhomers since 2006 and are now on our third van, having sold our second home in

Simon Spencer (Elected Members)
Tue, 28 Jul, 13:27
Dear Graham, Thank you for your email regarding overnight parking for motorhomes in Derbyshire. I have passed this onto officers for consideration. Kind regards

Attachments
Tue, 28 Jul, 13:30
to Simon

I was asking your option and views, please. I am trying to judge what councillors think, which at this stage is why I have not suggested any areas where a place should be selected.

Attachments area

Linda Grooby (Elected Members)
Mon, 3 Aug, 17:00
Hi. Thank you for your E mail. I appreciate the comments you have made. I am a councillor for the Buxton area. I will bring this up with High Peak Borough Counc

Mon, 3 Aug, 17:10
to Linda

Thank you for your reply I know that the Peak Park is awkward, and fly campers are a problem, but the majority of us live by the leave no trace take only pictures ethos.
Regards

Gray

The Madcaravanner
Grey Wanderer

Post by Grey Wanderer »

Hi
I have made several representations to councillors and my MP in High Peak. Disinterest and a desire to avoid or deflect the issue and pass the buck seem common. Our local borough councillor is supportive, but as a green in a Tory council she has limited clout. One problem in the High Peak and National Park area is that a lot of locals believe the area is subject to overtourism. There are few car parks where they can charge eye watering prices owing to the heavy demand. Those round us are usually full by 10 am even mid week as we are now the playground for Manchester and Sheffield conurbations. As our councillor correctly said the Borough owns very little land, so she suggested we would have more scope chasing larger land owners such as the water utilities, NT; and pubs with large car parks. But the same holds true for those bodies as well, except the pubs. All of their car parks are heavily used, even over subscribed, and they too have been pretty unresponsive. Add to that there are a lot of CL sites and large campsites in the area.

I’ve had a go a number of times with our MP, but he’s an outsider with little local connection, and not particularly supportive preferring to bat things off to others.

I wonder whether we may interest the local NFU. There’s a lot of sheep farmers round here who will be struggling soon if 40% EU tariffs come in. They may be looking to diversify with an Aire, which we may be able to help them with.

There may be more possibilities outside the central parts of the National Park which are less inundated with day trippers.
Madcaravanner

Post by Madcaravanner »

Grey Wanderer
You may notice a few High Peak councillors on my list of emails and the number that couldn't be bothered to reply

I am aware of the problems of the High Peak so much so we stay away - - but I feel that we may find a few places around Chesterfield & Matlock if we push a few buttons - I have tried Peak Rail - - who are quite happy letting the Derbyshire DA rally in it's car park at Rowsley but are not prepared to do it for others.

Any ideas to move some areas forward
Regards

Gray

The Madcaravanner
Steve

Post by Steve »

Some points from the correspondence:-
The reply with links to their strategy documents I suggest that you reply attaching our strategy document
I would point any potential organisations to our website not Facebook group as that is a more professional and controlled source of information
You need to follow up with recommendations of potential sites, the high peak is full of small sites so getting Aires will be very difficult unless the are close to the major towns where their are no campsites within walking distance like :- Buxton, Chesterfield, Bakewell.
Ashbourne as a large site thats a pleasant walk from town as is Castleton with CAMC site and a CS.
Wanting a lower cost site is not a reason for them to provide Aires, access to towns and spending in local shops and restaurants is.
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Madcaravanner

Post by Madcaravanner »

Steve wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:39 pm Some points from the correspondence:-
The reply with links to their strategy documents I suggest that you reply attaching our strategy document
When these were written we didn't have the strategy documents,

After Christmas I will re post to the councils reminding them of their policy document (the MP told me of it not any of the council ) and include ours - when I can find someone who can assist then with an increase in mailing then hopefully we can get some decent responses
Regards

Gray

The Madcaravanner
Madcaravanner

Post by Madcaravanner »

I have just sent a contact request for Midland Railway Trust at Butterley near Ripley - they have a HUGE carpark that never seems to get full
Regards

Gray

The Madcaravanner
Steve

Post by Steve »

Crich Tramway museum also have space at the rear of the car park.
Motorhome dealership in Chesterfield and I believe Timberland have re opened their van conversion factory, what a great potential site
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Madcaravanner

Post by Madcaravanner »

Steve wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:46 pm Crich Tramway museum also have space at the rear of the car park.
Motorhome dealership in Chesterfield and I believe Timberland have re opened their van conversion factory, what a great potential site
Midland Railway emails are all bouncing and their Twitter account doesn't accept messages

Will check out Crich

Will cycle up to the back of Timberland BUT having checked them out a while back all I can say is "what a Shower" plus they premises are miles away from the town and on a limited access highway there is only their shop within the site
Regards

Gray

The Madcaravanner