Disused Forest and Land Campsite at Balmacara, near Kyle of Lochalsh

Regions In Scotland
LizM

Disused Forest and Land Campsite at Balmacara, near Kyle of Lochalsh

Post by LizM »

Balmacara, by Kyle of Lochalsh, used to have a campsite situated just off A87. Perhaps 20 or 30 years ago. Not sure why they closed it, but they haven't used the land for anything else. It's just 'derelict'. But the site road will still be there and I think there may have been a toilet block too.
Due to its location, there must be masses of passing motorhome/campervan trade and there isn't exactly many options for places to stay up that way. There is a new campsite at Broadford on Skye and a very small site at Reraig (just down the road from Balmacara) which used to be bigger but was reduced in size years ago in order to build housing.

Does anyone have a contact for Forest and Land Scotland? I think it would be good to get in touch and suggest they could use the old Balmacara campsite land for an Aire. And then they would also need practical advice about costs etc.
Biggarmac

Re: Disused Forest and Land Campsite at Balmacara, near Kyle of Lochalsh

Post by Biggarmac »

Might the land at Balmacara be owned by the National Trust for Scotland? I don't know the area well but know that the NTS own land in the area.
The contact address for Forestry and Land is- enquiries@forestryandland.gov.scot
LizM

Post by LizM »

Thanks for the email Biggermac!

The Balmacara Estate is NTS (I have a house there). The Forestry Commission definitely owned the campsite (30 years ago!) I will email them. Do you think it is a site that CCP would be interested in? It's not near a city, but as its on the main road to Skye there are a huge number of motor caravans going past.
Steve

Post by Steve »

It may be of interest to CCP as they do take over sites in France and as you say they would get a lot of business
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Biggarmac

Post by Biggarmac »

I certainly think it would be worth asking CCP to get involved here. There might be other places that Forestry and Land could have which would be suitable. Forestry and Land have a relationship with the Camping and Caravanning Club, but they do not seem to be putting much investment into opening any new sites.
LizM

Post by LizM »

How do I get in contact with CCP? I have their leaflet, but having just checked it, can't see any contact details on it!
Steve

Post by Steve »

See post in general Camping car park list

viewtopic.php?p=1053#p1053
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
LizM

Post by LizM »

I have emailed CCP.
LizM

Post by LizM »

I have had a reply from CCP! See below. I will reply with the Councillor names and FLS phone number.

Dear Liz,

Thank you for our proposal, This site is indeed very interesting due to the closeness of the sea.
What I would need in order to prospect this site would be the telephone numbers of Forest and Land Scotland decision makers and also the town's councillors who would have to be on board for such a partnership to work as we would need the site to remain proper all year round meaning having the municipal town services to cut the grass and assure the maintenance of the area etc.... Do you personally know any councillors with whom we may initiate contact ?

Thank you for our help and suggestion !

Have a great day

Kinds regards

Alice YENTÜR
Export Sales Assistant / Assistante Commerciale Export
a.yentur@campingcarpark.com
LizM

Post by LizM »

Youngmo, I don't understand your reply. It sounds very negative towards motorhomes, and yet this is a forum for people campaigning for the very thing you seem to be complaining about. Also, I read the minutes of the Community meetings about it, and the site is not just going to be a campsite. Also, if its is going to be a campsite, then that is not any use to Motorhomes. Also, access to the site is just a few metres off the A87. Direct off the A87. No need to go through Balmacara Square or via any of the single track roads. Anyway, the key point is, the use of this site is now being decided by the community and doesn't include provision for motorhomes. End of discussion!