Tyne and Wear
East Yorkshire
North Yorkshire
South Yorkshire
West Yorkshire
Simon.Lock

Use of York P&R’s as Aires

Post by Simon.Lock »

Back in June 2020, I made contact with the City of York councillors and both of the York MP’s, to argue the case for the use of York’s Park and Rides as potential ‘Aires’.

I produced what I thought was a valid argument, which was supported by input from the manager in charge of the Canterbury Park and Ride. I included all of the points that have been raised many times on this site. I focused on the use of P&R’s because York, being a medieval city, is limited in terms of the availability of space within the city centre. York also has an initiative to reduce traffic within the city and so the use of the P&R’s, replicating what is already successful method in Canterbury, seemed to be a sensible approach.

After what initially was a really positive response, (primarily from politicians in opposition parties), the request is now mired in bureaucracy. I am told that it will be considered but only as part of other local transport plan which itself is delayed due to the council focus on other areas of work.

The initiative is currently within the remit of a Mr James Gilchrist, who is the Assistant Director of Transport, Highways and Environment. On Friday I sent him a further email which was summarised as follows:-

‘Thus, I would urge you to make every effort you can to put facilities in place and not to wait for inclusion in a local transport plan. Facilities can be temporary on a trial basis and could operate concurrently, whilst the local transport plan is developed, to attract motorhomers, and their money, into York to help save our businesses and jobs.’

I am arguing that you, my fellow motorhomers, want to visit York, want to spend your money and want to help revitalise the York economy, which is heavily reliant upon tourism. If I am correct in my understanding then Mr Gilchrist’s email address (which is in the public domain) is james.gilchrist@york.gov.uk . Let’s fill his email In Box with our views.

As a York resident, Aires within York will not benefit me, but will benefit all of you who would like to visit this beautiful city.

Thank you.