National Trust for Scotland

Regions In Scotland
LizM

National Trust for Scotland

Post by LizM »

After all the efforts Mark Edgecombe made to gather opinion and pressure the National Trust to provide overnight parking in their car parks, I wanted to do the same with the National Trust for Scotland. Mark was able to post something on the NT Facebook page. I tried that, but the post was taken down. So I emailed NTS instead on 14th Feb, email sent to: information@nts.org.uk

Hi NTS

National Trust for Scotland land is owned for the benefit and enjoyment of the people.

You have empty car parks, automated ticket machines and so why not let the motorhomes stay? We are talking about PARKING NOT CAMPING for self contained motorhomes or camper vans. We are talking about OVERNIGHT PARKING IN SELF CONTAINED MOTORHOMES AND CAMPERVANS. No external objects, no caravans, no cars, no tents. Just drive up and park as we do when visiting during the day and go to sleep in the vehicle.
I realise that many of the National Trust for Scotland sites would not be suitable due to location and potential security issues but quite a few of your sites would be perfect.

A survey was carried out buy CAMpRA (Campaign for Real Aires) using its Facebook group and 6000 members (they now have nearly 16,000 members) to find our what people thought about being able to park overnight in National Trust car parks:

<CAMpRA Survey NT.jpg>

Surely after the impact of Covid, you would be keen to find new ways to generate income? Look at the additional income your car parks could be generating for you, with no outlay!

I know it’s not easy to implement a change of policy overnight, but it would be great if you would consider allowing overnight parking in some of your car parks, at least on a trial basis for 2021. Forest and Land Scotland did that in some of their car parks last summer and are continuing with the scheme this year.

If you need further information or advice, the leadership of CAMpRA would be glad to help.

For more information: www.CAMpRA.org.uk and on Facebook at https://facebook.com/groups/campra.uk

Reply to me or email: steve@campra.org.uk

Attachments: Long Mind Visit Report
LizM

Re: National Trust for Scotland

Post by LizM »

A while ago NTS posted a survey asking for members opinions about managing tourists and parking in Glencoe and Glen Etive following the severe problems experienced post 2020 lockdown. They have just posted results of the survey and plans for the two Glens. I suggested they created an "urban clearway" in both glens and create park and ride car parks at both ends of the glen (Glencoe village and up by the Glencoe Ski Area or Kingshouse Hotel) and then had shuttle buses running back on forth - just like they do for all the access roads to Snowdon in North Wales. There is a big, flat area of land on the left hand side of the road down in the village, next to Petrol Station, which would make a great Park & Ride (and also Aire).

Here is the NTS report: https://www.nts.org.uk/stories/scotland ... _SBQQ8JJGw

I hope once the National Trust plan's for overnight parking are revealed we can make more positive progress with the National Trust for Scotland
SBirnie

Post by SBirnie »

I completed this morning the NTS What Comes After 90 consultation document arguing specifically an economic case for allowing overnighting at appropriate car parks of theirs. Also, provided contact details for CAMpRA for help. Fingers crossed!
LizM

Post by LizM »

Here is a link to the current National Trust for Scotland survey, where there is plenty of options to mention overnight parking for motorhomes would bring them lots of income from their unused car parks:

https://forms.office.com/Pages/Response ... VZRUxUTy4u

Anyone can complete the survey. You don't have to live in Scotland or be a National Trust for Scotland member.