Photos of possible locations

Regions In Scotland
Steve

Photos of possible locations

Post by Steve »

Please post a photo and details of potential sites for an Aire or waste point in your location with who owns the land if known, we will direct councils and tourism bodies to this page.
If you are able to make contact please put the brief details: contact name and details, date contacted, method of contact.
These could be disused car parks, closed businesses like car sales plots, public toilets, clubs etc or car parks empty at night.
Use your imagination but consider access for larger vehicles and away from residential areas.
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
LizM

Re: Photos of possible locations

Post by LizM »

Kenmore Toilets, Perth and Kinross

I haven't got a photo but this photo was taken right in front of the closed Kenmore toilet block. It's situated on the A827 and just opposite is a lay-by (for 4-5 vehicles) and that is right next to the beach at the end of Loch Tay at Kenmore. The toilets are shut but they didn't shut last year; it was a couple of years ago. People can use the toilets in the Kenmore Hotel, which is about 500m from the beach. In lockdown last year, when people had no where to go, they used the beach as a toilet. Eventually the council put an "urban clearway" in place to try and stop the problem of dirty camping. The locals were very upset by the tourists.

Perth & Kinross own the toilet block. It would be ideal to get it open again, and at the same time install a motorhome disposal point.

I have already emailed the local councillors and one of them replied but opening the toilets at Kenmore is still not on their radar.
Last edited by LizM on Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captlimey

Post by Captlimey »

On the main A91 road in Cupar Fife there is a plot of land that would make an ideal location for a Camping Car Park type aires site.

I understand that it is the site of the former police station that has been demolished but it is surrounded by a wall and is mostly a tarmac surface. It abuts Duffus Park and Cupar Sports Centre and is within comfortable walking distance of all shops, pubs and restaurants.

A search of the Fife Council Common Good land map reveals that it's Common Good Title CG361400101. From local knowledge I understand that there was an application to build a three storey care home there which failed due to residents objections of being overlooked. For the last two years it appears to have been used for unregulated off-street parking. There's no doubt that there would be planning application resistance from local residents but the 'overlooked' objection would not carry weight as there would be no buildings. It would have the potential to bring much needed business to the local tourist reliant commerce, shops, pubs and restaurants with very little capital outlay by the local authority.

I have requested owner/manager contact information from estate.enquiries@fife.gov.uk but so far have received no response.

The management team might consider it of potential interest to Camping Car Park.

Screen shots courtesy of Google Maps

Images are corrupted can you please upload again?
arthur49

Post by arthur49 »

Perth - South Inch Car Park. Owned by Perth & Kinross Council. With toilets but no motorhome facilities
Please upload the images again.
AireHunter

Post by AireHunter »

Aberfeldy (Camserney) Highland Pertshire

I am a landowner looking to set up an Aire in Aberfeldy. It would not have facilities but is within five minute drive of waste and water facilities in the town (Beyond Adventure).

I have attached an old street view image of the plot, however, you can view it using the link below on Google Maps. I am in the process of site clearance at the moment and looking at options for introducing hard standing.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/pb3HukZCSuhHyuvdA

The site has dedicated access from the B846. The road is relatively busy during the day but very quiet at night.

I am interested in members views of the location. Are motorhome users likely to want to use it?
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 12.29.51.png