Tyne and Wear
East Yorkshire
North Yorkshire
South Yorkshire
West Yorkshire
Simon.Lock

York P&R Update

Post by Simon.Lock »

Update on the use of P&R’s as ‘Aires’ in York.

I had a really good meeting this morning with the First Group Commercial Director responsible for York (and Leeds) Park and Rides. He tells me that overnight parking was something they were already considering for the many hotel users where inner city parking was already an issue. He says they already have some of the technology in place and were considering implementing it before the pandemic hit. However the use of that P&R facilities by motorhomes was a revenue stream they hadn’t considered so my email to him, and subsequent meeting, was very timely.

He tells me that they would probably start with the basic parking linked to use of the P&R buses as parking charges attract VAT but bus tickets don’t! (Didn’t know that...).

I have said that I will put a pack of information together for him from the support provided by the CAMpRA leadership, including details of the chap who runs the P&R ‘Aire’ at Canterbury. (Who he has now contacted). So who knows, in time it may progress to something more than just a basic facility!

The really encouraging thing is that he says they would want to get something in place in time for the country opening back up again! I also ran a short poll on two other FB groups, asking if the availability of such facilities would encourage a visit to York. He was very impressed with the numbers that had responded in such a short time, as well the range of comments!

So let’s hope we can get something up and running so you can visit the beautiful city of York! 🤗
Stretty

Re: York P&R Update

Post by Stretty »

Screenshot_20210726-162307_Maps.jpg
Screenshot_20210726-162307_Maps.jpg (502.91 KiB) Viewed 2953 times
As far as I can tell, the P&R at York designer outlet is sublet from the outlet.
My daughter works in one of the shops there.
I have written to the Outlet management, suggesting that the old coach park could be used as an aire as it has access to sewers and waterpoints nearby. The centre has 24 hour security so collection of payment would be easy and the shops and eateries would benefit from the custom. I am awaiting a reply.
Last edited by Stretty on Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddiey

Post by Eddiey »

Sounds good, keep up the good work. Sometimes you have to push hard just to get an answer so fingers crossed.
Traceybarkwill

Post by Traceybarkwill »

I emailed the manager of Royal Quays Shopping Centre in North Shields several times with no response. Then, during a, Sleep Out to Help Out event nearby, a group of us phoned him & asked him to meet us on site. The result was that he allowed us to add the car park to S4S & recommended a better car park than we had initially suggested. Worth trying a, phone call (or two).
Simon.Lock

Post by Simon.Lock »

So I have sent an email to First York manager in charge of the Park and Rides for York, to see how they were progressing with the revised proposal they put forward to the City of York Council. Hopefully I will receive a response. Things seem to have gone very quiet.