Forestry and Land Scotland

Regions In Scotland
VWann

Forestry and Land Scotland

Post by VWann »

I have attached an article from our local newspaper, Dunoon Observer, which I thought might be of interest. Ardentinny beach has always been a popular place for people camping. Unfortunately last year it became a victim of its own success. The sheer volume of campers caused problems with the amount of rubbish left and I think I am correct in saying that the toilets got blocked. Locals were very upset at the amount of rubbish - the bins couldn't cope. They became very anti the tents and motorhomes there.

Is anyone in contact with the area visitor service manager of the Forestry and Land Scotland, Stuart Chalmers? Maybe someone is liaising with FLS already. Perhaps we could point them in the direction of CAMpRA who could offer help to deal with this situation.

I do hope that they do not prohibit overnight sleeping/camping at Ardentinny Beach. It is a lovely place.
Attachments
Forestry.jpg
Forestry.jpg (2 MiB) Viewed 4374 times
Grey Wanderer

Re: Forestry and Land Scotland

Post by Grey Wanderer »

Stayed at Pucks Glen and Ardentinney two years ago, only us there, but it was February and very wet. I couple of local ladies were very friendly, had a long chat, said motorhomes were very welcome, and said ignore signs in Dunoon, nobody enforces them and locals would have objected if they did. How things change once the eejits have been.
Biggarmac

Post by Biggarmac »

It is likely that FLS will bring in a different scheme this year. They are likely to enforce the no overnighting in carparks which are not part of this years scheme. At present there is no information on how many of their carparks will be open as part of the FLS scheme and if there will be a charge for the carparks included.
Steve

Post by Steve »

This could backfire as the sites are remote so if you turn up and the few spaces are full where do you park?
It would be extremely difficult to find another parking space outside of the forest area especially on roads with lumber lorries at night.
Steve - CAMpRA Leadership Team
Biggarmac

Post by Biggarmac »

There may be booking for specific places as there is in the Loch Lomond and Trossachs parking regime. Until they announce their scheme it is all speculation.