East Anglia
Bedfordshire
Cambridgeshire
Hertfordshire
Essex
CShel

Dunwich Town Trust - response

Post by CShel »

Response from this Suffolk coast village that we visited on Bank Holiday Monday.

“Hello Mr Shelbourne

As promised, I have canvassed views from the Town Trust about your enquiry concerning motor homes on Dunwich beach.

Unsurprisingly, to me at least, all responses I have received have been totally opposed to the idea. In brief, the beach, car park and village at Dunwich are all a great and much-loved asset to the area and the community, and we will take all steps to prevent any sort of change or development which might jeopardise that. Further, the wildlife on the beach and marshes is unique, rare, fragile and very much in need of protection. We ask people parking on the beach to respect that and not to interfere with it in any way. Overnight parking is prohibited, which helps to keep disturbance to a minimum. Last but certainly not least, the car park is subject to flooding at high tides and this can be severe.

I am sorry that we cannot help you with your proposal and wish you well in persuing it elsewhere.”

(Ms) Nick Mayo
Chair, Dunwich Town Trust
chair@dunwichtowntrust.org

We weren’t proposing to park on the beach; it’s beyond the sand dunes. The car park is large and has a toilet block beside the cafe, and motorhomes already visit. The pub, museum and cafe would benefit from overnight stays. The walking trails around the area are lovely.
CShel

Re: Dunwich Town Trust - response

Post by CShel »

My response...

“Hello Nick

Well, from what I heard from the cafe owner, that was expected. At least there’s no rules stopping daytime visits. He appreciates the custom.

People have been campaigning in the past for bicycle routes, disabled bays, pedestrian zones, doggie bins, children’s playgrounds, better footpaths.... and they’d never get them without making the effort. It’s out turn now. Many owners are disabled as most owners are older and retired and they find travelling in their own space the best way, and safer still with covid about. Many pet owners choose Motorhome travel too.

So please don’t think of them as a complete nuisance! I thought those impressive figures on tourist income might sway you all, as all villages and hospitality businesses have suffered so much this past year. Motorhomers can make up a bit of their losses as there are few coach tours in action and foreign visitors heading your way now.

We’ve turned around the views of councillors in Devon, Cornwall, Cumbria and Yorkshire, who are now planning controlled parking places in towns to entice these tourists to visit, like they do all over the continent. It works!

I don’t know how the wildlife and fauna would be troubled by a dozen vehicles remaining in the car park overnight. But I can see that boy racers, fly tippers and vandals could do far more damage and cost the DTT a lot more. The presence of motorhomes has almost wiped this out elsewhere. People just don’t realise!

Let’s see how you go this summer! It’s going to be extraordinarily busy!”

Cheers
Charles

I’ve also reminded her that Dunwich is on the East Anglia Coastal Tour route